The Face Fender (formerly The Bender FenderTM) is the original and Patent Pending fork mounted mudguard from Mucky Nutz.
Like most folk we don’t like using large, ugly mudguards, so decided to look at other options. After many failures and even uglier mudguards the penny dropped and we came up with the Face Fender; the lightest and most versatile mudguard available, from just 11g without fasteners. It can be used as a fork mounted mudguard; to protect the face and fork seals, or as a rear fender; to protect your rear shock and/or front mech.
New Improved Material! Now made from a customized polypropylene material which makes the fender slightly thicker, stiffer and stronger whilst keeping weight to a minimum.
The profile of the mudguard is shaped such that when installed on the fork, via the hook and loop fasteners, it catches the mud, spray and whatever else you might pick up, that would eventually find its way to your face. This has been determined by working out the trajectory of the emanating matter for a given wheel speed range. Or in other words; spinning the wheel, throwing water at it and seeing where it goes.
The fact that the mudguard is installed so close to the ‘knobbly bits’ means it can be small and discrete, which is a big plus for those that don’t like using them, and as it is less than 1mm thick it adds negligible weight to your bike.
The hook and loop fasteners act as a simple and quick way to install and detach the mudguard. If you intend to leave it on all year round, like many do, then you can also use zipties.
It even looks good when on. Win, win!!!
Here’s a reminder of the Face Fender’s plus points: –
- It stops any muck, horse, cow and dog s*** from being flung into your face.
- It is fitted as close as possible to the knobbly bits for optimum ‘muck’ catching.
- It can be used on your 26in or 29er
- It protects your fork stanchions and brace from getting caked, reducing the need for cleaning and servicing.
- Discretion is its middle name. It’s small but effective. Don’t just take our word for it! There’s loads of positive chit chat on the forums and in the online mags.
- It’s the lightest mudguard available!!
- Uses hook and loop straps to attach to the brace and stanchions, so it’s easy to fit and take off.
- It’s compatible with all forward and double sus brace designs.
- It can be used as a rear shock guard on some full sus arrangements.
- When off, it’s easy to clean as it’s flexible and opens flat. Simply wipe it and you’re done!!
Standard Face Fender: A lightweight 22g and now 16% longer providing even more protection. We’ve done this by taking away material from non-critical areas and dumping it where it’s needed, i.e. between you and the rubber.